Teachers College, Columbia University
Position: The TESOL and Applied Linguistics Programs at Teachers College, Columbia University seek a Language Program Director. This position entails directing two related programs: the Community Language Program (CLP) and the TESOL Certificate Program (TCP). The CLP provides English and foreign language instruction to adult learners and is an onsite language lab for students and faculty in TESOL and Applied Linguistics. The TCP currently offers an 8-week intensive summer program in TESOL, preparing students to teach adult learners of English as a Second Language.
Responsibilities: Provide vision and leadership for the CLP and TCP. Oversee the day-to-day operations of the two programs. Manage the expansion of both programs, including online course offerings and a part-time, year-round certificate program. Manage and monitor the budget, direct recruitment, and marketing of both programs. Hire and supervise instructors and staff. Serve as liaison between the TESOL/AL faculty, the CLP, and the TCP instructors and staff. Work closely with the TESOL/AL faculty and assistant directors on the curricula, teacher training, and assessment. Prepare annual reports of each program. The successful candidate may also be invited to teach one or more courses in the TESOL and Applied Linguistics MA programs (for extra pay) depending on qualifications.
* An MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics; Ed.M. or doctorate preferred
* A minimum of 5 years experience as an ESL or EFL instructor
* 3 to 5 years experience in language program administration (LPA)
* 3 to 5 years experience in managing personnel in an academic setting
* Experience supervising teachers on their teaching
* Experience in recruitment and marketing for academic programs
* Experience developing curricula and/or assessments for language programs
* Experience developing, implementing and directing online learning programs
* Background in teacher education or CALL
* International experience
* Grant-writing experience
To apply: Go to the Human Resources website at TC.
Click on Staff Positions. Then look for Professional Director posted 04-01-2013. You will need to upload a cover letter specifying how your skills meet these job requirements, your CV, and list of at least 2 references to:
Review of applications will begin on Apr. 20, 2013, and will continue until the search is completed.
Teachers College as an institution has long been committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment. In offering higher education in the discipline area of TESOL, the College is committed to providing expanding employment opportunities to minorities, women and the disabled in its own activities and in society.